Translate

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Appreciation vs. Gratitude

Have you ever watched the face of someone you unexpectedly helped? It seems like a combination of relief, humility and appreciation.  Be grateful that you are in a position to help. To listen...to do whatever you can to assist a person's needs. 

On my way to work today I saw an elderly couple. It was humbling that the husband and wife were struggling to get her walker on the sidewalk.  I was running late (actually writing this as I wait for the train knowing it will be a late mark against me but such is my life..I digress) but without hesitation went there and assisted her keep her balance with one hand while with my other hand helped lift the walker on the sidewalk.  They both kept saying thank you. I just smiled and told them to enjoy their day.  I walked away thinking thank you...thank you for reminding me of all I have to be grateful for and for the smile and light in your eyes.

God willing we will all be there someday.  Offer someone some unexpected help and even if you don't see appreciation feel gratitude for being able to make that offer and when someone offers you help unexpected or not - be appreciative - because it was their choice to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment